Monday, April 28, 2008

National ID Card, VISA, and the Cashless Society

If you grew up in the 80's like I did, then I am sure you have seen the movie �Back to the Future�. In the second film of the trilogy, Michael J Fox's character goes to the future where there is no money; they simply scan your thumb for payment. Apparently, it was believed that at some point we would all be part of a control grid where all of your information will be available to the government.
I do believe that money, in its current form, will be obsolete in our near future. In fact, it has already started. Not too long ago, the banks developed a way to keep you away from your money by creating direct deposit, charging you to take money out of the ATMs, and now we have the best one, your ATM card now has a VISA logo.
Let me show you how it all comes together;
Some of us have heard of the National ID Cards. Washington has been selling the idea to us as a way of keeping us safe and secure from those evil doers in the Middle East and illegal immigrants here at home. It is said that you will not be allowed to fly, enter office buildings, or vote without showing your National ID Card. The National ID Card will have all of your information similar to the above mentioned control grid. To me this is pretty scary stuff, but then it all became clear.
I, like most Americans watch a lot of TV and I have noticed something oddly familiar about these VISA commercials lately. In every single commercial they show an assembly line of happy consumers purchasing their goods with their handy VISA cards. The one consumer who uses this outdated form of payment known as currency is frowned upon by the employee working the register and the other consumers in line.
Frankly, I am surprised that the people in these commercials aren't wearing blue overalls with a picture of big brother on the wall of the store.
This vision of the future seems to fit in with what is going on in our country today, doesn't it? The dollar is being devalued, and the middle class is dwindling.
I know, this may all just be a big coincidence, but if it's not?

No comments: